Friday 28 December 2012

Simplicity


I've been admiring paper dresses made by Ruth Rae and Colette Copeland for quite some time and have been yearning to make one myself... I've hesitated to attempt one as I was worried that mine would look just like their's!  And yes, perhaps their influence is obvious, but I hope there's a unique touch to it that's more from myself than from them.  I guess the more I explore the possibilities, the more I'll make the dresses in my own style (whatever that is)... and anyway, it's the perfect excuse the keep playing and exploring paper dress making!!!

This morning I looked at a little pile of left-overs from an earlier project I was working on this week and thought the handmade flowers would look rather sweet on a paper skirt.  The dress kinda grew from there.  I'm also in the middle of a love affair with brown paper and I'm thankful that I've kept a vast amount of it tucked away from parcels received in the post!  There's so much of it available to me right now that it seems to give me freedom to create... if I mess one piece of paper up, there's plenty more where it came from!

The best thing about this dress is the message, 'Simplicity'... I'll be hanging this in my studio as a reminder - the simple things in life are often the best!



1 comment:

A bird in the hand said...

Susie, great job! You've really made this dress your own, and I love it. Brown paper rules!
Happy New Year,
Colette